So I’m taking this week off for vacation. But it’s not too much relaxation.
One thing that I finally got around to was getting my laptop configured to start developing for the WoW guild that I help webmaster for on the side. It’s something that I’ve been meaning to do for a long time, but I’ve just not gotten around to doing. And the funny thing about developing for DotNetNuke is that it requires about 4-6 hours just to get things set up – it’s not for the faint of heart.
So what’s the wrinkle this time? I’m running on Vista – which means a lot of base assumptions are shot to hell. And I thought I would outline the lessons learned today here for those who are planning on doing the same:
Set up IIS on Vista per the instructions posted up on Chris Hammond’s blog
- As a side note, remember to provide ‘ASPNET’ ‘Network Service’ and the Users group full control or you will run into issues J
- Get Visual Studio .NET 2005 installed, and patched up to SP1 and the Vista Update
Download and install the Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects (WAP) templates
- Before installing the WAP, I need to install the VS2005 Update to Support WAP
- We then wait as a couple installations progress and I get a couple UAC prompts to verify that I know things are being installed
- Create a module development project per the Blank Module project guidelines
Why install the WAPs? I’m going the WAP route because I want something that’s easier to deploy. I tried using the DNN Starter Kit path (which I guess is the officially recommended development method as suggested by Microsoft), but DNN is just too large, and I need to go back to the packaged zip file/manifest anyway, so it seemed like a large waste of time, to be honest.
I then went and created the projects for the existing code:
- Created a solution in the root of my new IIS directory (per the Blank Module guidelines)
- Created a new project in the ‘Desktop Modules’ folder and created an ‘App_Code’ and a ‘Desktop Modules’ subfolder in the directory. These subfolders contained all the same stuff the other folders did.
- I then had to clean up the ascx files by ‘Convert[ing] to Web Application’, which creates the Designer code-behind. If you don’t do this, it will essentially toss an error for each and every declared item in the ascx file. [Tangent: The last time I played with a self-contained module, I spent 5 hours cleaning this up by declaring the variables in the ascx.cs code behind, only to find new issues when I moved it into the starter kit]
- Add it in by hand and added in the database entries
Now I’m finally starting to look at working code again!